This Sustainable silk dress is a versatile, comfortable, stylish cut.
Matka Silk - also referred to as raw silk and silk linen - is a 100% silk handloom fabric made from thick yarns hand spun by women in the Murshidabad district of West Bengal. The slubs and irregularities from the varying thickness of the yarn gives the cloth a distinctive character. It is made from waste Mulberry Silk without removing its gum part called Sericin. Sericin is a natural macromolecular protein. It is a biomolecule of great value as it has antibacterial, UV resistant, oxidative resistant and moisturising properties. Leaving the Sericin in the fabric not only gives the fabric its lustrous finish it also reduces the environmental impact of the silk scouring process.
The cut of the dress is wide and loose in the traditional artist Reform Dress style.
As such there is one free size option available. Fitting UK sizes 6 -16.
The dress can be worn belted with the fabric tie or worn loose. It is lovely worn on its own or layered with trousers and shirts.
The flat measurements of the garment are approximately:
Chest 58 cm
Hip 63 cm
Length 130 cm
Traditional hand-spun, hand-woven, Bengali Silk Cotton Khadi:
- Hand wash cold or dry clean
- 100% Sustainable Silk
- Made in Kolkata India
- Variations/unevenness in the cloth may be viewed as the beautiful traces of the craftsperson's hand and are welcomed by Poetwear as the individual character of each piece.
- The Poetwear label is hand stiched. The workshop asked for this detail as the embroidery is traditionally womans work whereas screenprinting work would go to the men.
Matka Silk Reform Dress
Free UK orders
For the rest of Europe £12
International orders £20
Orders will normally be delivered within 3 to 5 working days of payment.
As stock is very limited immediate payment is required to secure purchase. The quickest payment method for fastest delivery is to pay for goods manually by bank transfer.
If your item is out of stock a forward order can be arranged by email.
Deliveries are made by Royal Mail on a tracked and signed for service.
Orders placed on a Friday afternoon, during the weekend, or on a Bank Holiday will be processed the following working day.
- Deliveries made by Royal Mail may require a signature on delivery.
- Saturdays and Sundays are NOT classed as working days.
- Poetwear cannot accept any liability for any delivery instructions which you give to the delivery company. If, for example, you ask the delivery company to leave your order in a different location to the one given at the time of your order (e.g. in a shed or garage, or with a neighbour), we cannot accept responsibility if you fail to receive the order.
- For your safety and security we do not currently deliver to collection points such as: PO Boxes, Amazon lockers, Collect Plus, and Parcel Motel. If you nominate a collection point as your delivery address, we cannot accept responsibility if you fail to receive the order.
Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands, Isle of Man and Isle of Wight.
Please contact Poetwear to arrange reasonable delivery costs.